The study of French contributes to the education of a student in many ways:
- It stimulates and directs the acquisition of a national and international understanding by developing knowledge of the civilization, literature and language of one or more of the modern nations, which is a part of a cultural and liberal education.
- It develops accuracy and precision in the use of language as an instrument for the comprehension and communication of ideas.
- It offers training in the reading knowledge of foreign languages essential to advanced study in most fields of learning.
- It is of practical value in diplomatic service, business and industry or foreign trade.
- It prepares the student to qualify for secondary or elementary school instruction or, after graduate study, for instruction on the college level in French.